Apricot Cheese Bread
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix 2 1/2 cups flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, 1 tablespoon
of the cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add nuts, cheese and apricots and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk and melted butter to blend. Add mixture to
dry ingredients and stir to moisten evenly.
- Butter and flour 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans. Scrape batter equally into pans.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, the 1 tablespoon melted butter and the
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over batter in pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until bread is well browned, springs back when lightly
pressed in the center and begins to pull from pan sides, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let stand in pans on a rack for about 10 minutes.
- Run a thin-bladed knife between bread and pan sides. Invert loaves onto rack
and set upright to cool.
- Serve warm or cool.