Banana Bread with Pecan Crunch Topping
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 very ripe bananas, well mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk (can substitute regular milk)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecans, whole or chopped (optional)
Pecan Crunch Topping
- 7 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 12 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces, chopped small (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl, then add to sugar mixture.
- Add mashed bananas, vanilla extract and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to banana mixture. Mix all
- Fold in pecans if using.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center
comes out clean.
- Allow to cool an hour or two before adding topping.
- To prepare topping, melt butter in saucepan. Add sugar and milk, stirring
constantly. Cook until syrupy.
- Remove syrup from heat and add chopped pecans.
- Pour syrup over bread and place the pans under the broiler for 3 to 4 minutes
until very bubbly, being careful not to burn the topping.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
Yield: 2 loaves
Walnuts may be substituted for pecans.