Banana Gingerbread Loaf
Frosted or unfrosted this Banana Gingerbread Loaf is scrumptious!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) soft unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Favorite frosting (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Sift flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, ginger and cinnamon into large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In food processor, with few on/off bursts, process butter, sugar, eggs, maple syrup, ginger, bananas and vanilla 30 seconds. (Mixture should be smooth, but will look slightly curdled.)
- Pour liquid batter over flour mixture in bowl and stir just until flour is incorporated and smooth thick batter forms.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until top feels firm and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool loaf for 5 minutes in pan.
- Use a small sharp knife to loosen sides of loaf from pan. Invert onto wire rack, then turn loaf right side up to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Frost with your favorite frosting, if desired.
- Slice and serve at room temperature. (Loaf can be prepared up to 3 days ahead, covered and stored at room temperature.)
Yield: 1 loaf