Cherry Banana Bread
- 1 1/3 cups maraschino cherries (10-ounce jar)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts
- Drain maraschino cherries, reserving 2 tablespoons juice. Cut cherries into
quarters; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, eggs and reserved cherry juice in a large mixing
bowl. Mix on medium speed with an electric mixer until ingredients are thoroughly
- Add flour mixture and mashed bananas alternately, beginning and ending with
- Stir in drained cherries and nuts.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 5 x 3-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven 1 hour, or until golden brown and
wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan; let cool on wire rack.
- Store in a tightly covered container.
Yield: 1 loaf, about 16 slices
Recipe and photo credit: National Cherry Growers Association