Date Nut Bread 2
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 cups dates, cut-up
- 2 cups nuts, chopped
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup hot water
- Boil water in a kettle. Set oven at 350 degrees F. Grease 4 small (5 x 3-inch)
loaf pans and flour lightly and evenly.
- Cut dates in half.
- Break nuts, but not too small.
- Pour 2 cups boiling water over the date and nut pieces and let stand while mixing
- Cream the shortening in a bowl, adding brown sugar gradually.
- Sift flour and salt together twice.
- Break eggs, one at a time, into the shortening mixture.
- Add baking soda to dates and nuts.
- Stir flour and fruit mixture alternately into creamed batter. Stir gently; mix
- Stir in another 2/3 cup water and fold in.
- Pour into pans and bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick tested in the center
comes out clean and dry.
- Turn out of pans to cool.
This is better the next day and even better the next week.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Quick Sweet Bread Recipes