Fruited Grits Dessert Bread with Orange Syrup
Fruited Grits Dessert Bread with Orange Syrup is a twist on a popular South American dessert. This scrumptious dessert is traditionally prepared with wheat. However, given that corn is a staple throughout this continent, it is not unusual to find this variation prepared with a coarse ground corn (grits). Laced with dried fruit and nuts, this bread is so moist it’s sometimes called a “pudding” in South America, yet is firm enough to cut into slices for serving. The orange syrup drizzled over each slice adds a flavorful touch to this memorable dessert.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit, soaked in 1/4 cuporange liqueur or juice for several hours
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans NESTLÉ®CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups quick grits
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds or any favorite nut
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 large eggs at room temperature, separated
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur or juice
- Dessert Bread: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9 x 5-inch loaf
pan or dish.
- Heat evaporated milk and water in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Slowly stir in grits. Cook, stirring constantly,
for about 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar, nuts, fruit with liqueur and orange peel. Cool for 20 minutes.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Stir in yolks into grits mixture.
- Fold egg whites into grits mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes; remove to wire rack or serving
- Serve warm with Orange Syrup.
- Orange Syrup: Combine water and sugar in medium saucepan over medium
heat. Bring to a boil and maintain it, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in orange liqueur.
Makes: 12 servings; about 1 2/3 cups Orange Syrup
Prep Time: 40 min
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe Servings Per Recipe: 12 Calories:
290 Calories from Fat: 70 Total Fat: 7g (11% of DV) Saturated Fat: 3.5g (17% of
DV) Cholesterol: 70mg (24% of DV) Sodium: 85mg (4% of DV) Carbohydrates: 49g (16%
of DV) Dietary Fiber: 1g (5% of DV) Sugars: 34g Protein: 8g
Vitamin A: 2% of DV Vitamin C: 6% of DV Calcium: 15% of DV Iron: 2% of DV
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Nestle and meals.com
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Quick Sweet Bread Recipes