Lemon Tea Bread
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Bread: Beat shortening at medium speed of electric mixer until fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating mixture well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with
milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in lemon rind and, if desired, pecans.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan, and let cool
completely on a wire rack.
- Pour Lemon Glaze over bread.
- Lemon Glaze: Combine ingredients, stirring until smooth.