Old-Fashioned Lemon Bread
Old-Fashioned Lemon Bread is perfect anytime of the day and may be used as a
dessert or snack! The Lemon Syrup can be made while the bread is baking, making
this an easy-to-bake treat that is sure to be a favorite!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel (about 1 lemon - reserve lemon for use in Lemon Syrup)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 lemon)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 8 x 4-inch baking pan.
- Bread: Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Beat eggs, evaporated milk, oil and lemon zest together in medium bowl.
Pour egg mixture into flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes
- Using the skewer, poke numerous holes in the hot bread, piercing all the
way to the bottom.
- Slowly drizzle the hot Lemon Syrup over the bread (Syrup will soak into
- Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes; run knife around edge of bread.
- Remove bread to wire rack to cool completely.
- Lemon Syrup: Combine granulated sugar and lemon juice in small, heavy-duty
saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes or
until sugar is dissolved and a light syrup is formed.
Prep: 10 min | Cooking: 55 min | Yield: 10 servings (one 8 x 4-inch loaf)
This lemony fresh, delicious quick bread was inspired by one of our own Very
Best Bakers, Brenda Washburn of Enid, Oklahoma.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Nestlé® and meals.com
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Quick Sweet Bread Recipes