Pecan Browned Butter Bread
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups shelled pecans, divided
- 2 cups plus 1 1/2 teaspoons flour, divided
- 1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
Pecan Streusel Filling
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bread: Melt 1/2 cup butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. After it melts, continue
to cook, whisking until it turns nut brown, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the browned
butter from the heat and cool, then refrigerate until it solidifies, about 30 to
- While the browned butter is chilling, put the pecans on a jellyroll pan in a
single layer and toast them in the oven 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the nuts from the
oven and cool in the pan, then roughly chop them so the pieces are no larger than
- Pecan Streusel Filling: Combine one-half cup chopped toasted pecans,
1 1/2 teaspoons flour and 1/3 cup brown sugar.
- Work the remaining 2 tablespoons
butter into the sugar mixture until it is crumbly; do not over-mix.
- Cream together the chilled browned butter and the remaining 1 cup brown sugar
until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Scrape
down the sides of the bowl, then beat in the almond or vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients
to the brown butter mixture alternately with the sour cream, folding each addition
in gently by hand.
- Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups chopped toasted pecans, just
until ingredients are mixed.
- Spoon half the batter into the bottom of a well-buttered 9-inch loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the streusel filling evenly over the batter.
- Spoon the remaining batter over the filling and spread evenly.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until the bread tests done in the center; note that
the streusel filling will remain moist throughout the baking process.
- Remove to a wire rack and let cool to warm.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes one 9-inch loaf.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Quick Sweet Bread Recipes