Praline Apple Bread
Packed with apple flavor and topped with gooey caramel and crunchy pecans.
Yield: 1 loaf (18 servings)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) carton dairy sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups chopped, peeled tart apples
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together granulated sugar, sour cream, eggs and vanilla extract on low speed of an electric mixer until combined, then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to sour cream mixture, beating on low speed until combined.
- Stir in apple and 1/2 cup of the pecans.
- Turn into prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining chopped pecans; press lightly into batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. (If necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.)
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine butter and brown sugar; cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 1 minute.
- Remove bread from pan. Drizzle top with brown sugar mixture; cool.
Make-Ahead Tip: Up to 1 day ahead, make, bake, and cool loaf as directed. Cover and store at room temperature.
Per serving: 203 calories, 10 g total fat, 4 g saturated fat, 36 mg cholesterol, 175 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein,
6% vitamin A, 0% vitamin C, 5% calcium, 6% iron
Source: BHG Online