Raspberry Nut Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup raspberries, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Combine orange juice, zest and egg. Pour into dry ingredients and mix just
enough to combine.
- Carefully fold in nuts and raspberries.
- Spoon batter into a greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. Spread to the corners
and sides to make them higher than in the center.
- Bake in for 1 hour or until wooden pick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan.
- For easier slicing, store overnight.
Yield: 1 loaf