Rich Chocolate Beet Bread
- 1 (15 ounce) can sliced beets (not pickled), drained, reserving 1/2 cup juice
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (if desired)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil three 8 x 4 x 2-inch bread pans.
- Puree the beets with the juice and transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add
to the beet mixture and mix well.
- Stir in chips and nuts.
- Pour the batter into prepared bread pans. They should be about three-fourths
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. The bread is done when it feels dense.
Makes 12 servings.