Rum Glazed Fruit Bread
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1 small can crushed pineapple
- 1 (8 ounce) jar drained and chopped maraschino cherries
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Rum Sauce or Glaze
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease a tube pan and dust lightly with flour.
- Bread: Mix sugar, bananas, eggs, pineapple and cherries. Combine with oil.
- Combine flour, salt and soda and stir into first mixture.
- Add nuts and vanilla extract, then mix well. Pour dough evenly into the pan.
- Bake for one hour and 45 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Rum Sauce or Glaze: In a saucepan, combine ingredients, bring to a boil and boil
for three or four minutes. Pour half of the glaze over the cake while still in the
- Let cool, then turn cake onto plate and pour remaining glaze over the top.