Sour Cherry Almond Bread
- 2 tablespoons drained unsweetened applesauce, from 1/4 cup undrained
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons sweet (unsalted) butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup well-shaken low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted sour or tart or pie cherries in water, drained (or 2 cups frozen, thawed and drained), chopped coarse
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Place the oven rack in the lower-middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F.
Lightly spray a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and
chopped almonds together until combined, about 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Measure out 2 tablespoons of the drained applesauce and add it, the butter and
1 cup sugar to a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium-high speed for 2 to 3 minutes
or until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix for 20 seconds; add the egg white
and mix for 20 seconds more.
- Reduce the mixer's speed to medium/medium-low and
add the buttermilk, almond extract; mixing until incorporated.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer stand and with a wide rubber spatula fold in the
flour mixture and cherries until just moistened.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the batter with the sliced almonds and the remaining 2 teaspoons
sugar and bake for 55 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes
- Let the loaf cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn the loaf out onto
the rack, turn right side up and cool completely, about 2 hours.
Nutrition values per serving: 255 calories (20.8 percent from fat), 5.9 g
fat 45 g carbohydrates, 1.8 g fiber, 5.7 g protein, 24 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium
This bread keeps well for five days if placed in a plastic bag and chilled.
It also freezes well.