Spicy Apricot Bread
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Place apricots and pineapple juice in a small saucepan. Warm over medium heat
until bubbling. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf
- In a large bowl, mix together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder,
baking soda, brown sugar, ginger, coriander, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, beat together egg, vegetable oil and buttermilk; combine
with cooled apricot mixture.
- Gradually stir buttermilk/apricot mixture into flour
mixture until blended. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center
of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then loosen sides of loaf with a blunt knife. Remove from
pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
Makes one 9 x 5-inch loaf.