Toffee Meringue Gingerbread (T&T)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chocolate-covered toffee bits
Brown Sugar Meringue
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chocolate-covered toffee bits
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9 x 3-inch or one 9-inch square
- Gingerbread: Beat all ingredients except toffee bits for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in toffee bits and pour into pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until it tests done.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F, and make meringue.
- Brown Sugar Meringue: Beat whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Beat in sugar,
a little at a time, until stiff. Stir in toffee bits.
- Spread meringue over hot gingerbread
and bake 8 to 10 minutes until light brown.
- Serve warm.
Posted by Elaine at Recipe Goldmine 2004/3/31.