Tropical Nut Bread with
Pineapple Cheese Spread
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons pineapple preserves
- Bread: Combine dates, pecans and baking soda in a small bowl. Stir in hot water; set
aside to cool.
- Cream shortening in a medium size bowl; gradually add sugar, beating
well at medium speed of an electric mixer.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with date mixture, beginning and ending
with flour mixture. Mix just until blended after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour batter into two greased and floured 16-ounce vegetable cans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out
- Cool in cans for 10 minutes.
- Remove loaves from cans and cool on wire racks.
- Slice loaves into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Spread Pineapple-Cheese Spread evenly over
half the bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Pineapple-Cheese Spread: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl; stir well.
To store: Refrigerate sandwiches in a tightly covered container up to 2 days.
Freeze sandwiches in a labeled airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Quick Sweet Bread Recipes