Yam Marmalade Bread
- 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening or butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/4 cups mashed cooked, peeled sweet potatoes or canned drained yams
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups sifted flour (sifted before measuring)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 3 unpeeled orange slices
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- In a bowl, beat shortening or butter until light; add brown sugar and beat until
- Add eggs, sweet potatoes, milk and lemon juice; beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to sweet potato mixture along
with nuts. Stir just until combined.
- Spread marmalade evenly in bottom of loaf pan.
- Arrange orange slices in marmalade.
- Spoon in batter.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until done.
- Invert loaf onto a wire rack. Let cool before slicing.
Yield: 1 loaf
Source: Adapted from Grit Cookbook - published in the magazine Jan.