Almond Scones with Amaretto Butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick)
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg white mixed with 1/2 teaspoon water (glaze)
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick butter)
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto liqueur
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To make scones: In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder,
salt, and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture is the texture
of coarse crumbs. Stir in the almonds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together whole egg, almond extract, and milk.
Make a well in dry ingredients and pour liquid into it. Combine with a few swift
strokes. Dough should form a ball and all flour should be incorporated. Do not
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and pat into an 8-inch circle. Carefully
place on baking sheet and cut into 8 wedges, sides still touching.
- Brush lightly
with egg-white glaze and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until cooked through and golden.
- Let cool for 10 minutes
before serving with Amaretto Butter.
- To make Amaretto butter: Place butter and honey in food processor, whip
a few minutes until fluffy. Add the Amaretto and whip until totally smooth.
Yield: 8 scones, 10 tablespoons butter