Apple Cheddar Scones
Unlike traditional scone recipes that call for generous amounts of butter and
cream, this version is leaner and lighter, though rich in apple flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons granulated
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 Gala or Golden Delicious apple, cored and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup low fat (1%) milk
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in apple and
- Beat egg white and milk until combined. Add to flour mixture, mixing gently,
until soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead 4
- Spread dough evenly in cake pan and score deeply with knife to make six wedges.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when gently pressed.
- Cool until
warm or room temperature.
Makes 6 scones.