Apricot Streusel Scones
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup firm margarine or butter
- 2 large eggs, beaten, reserve 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, mix together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Using pastry blender or two knives, cut margarine into dry ingredients, until
mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in eggs, sour cream, apricots and milk.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 10 times. Roll or
pat into 10 x 11-inch rectangle. Cut into two 5 x 11-inch sections.
- Mix streusel ingredients with a fork and lightly pat onto one piece of dough;
cover with other piece. With sharp knife cut into triangles. Place on un-greased
baking sheet; brush dough with reserved beaten egg.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately remove from baking sheet to wire rack.
- Serve warm or cold.
Nutrition: One scone provides approximately: 179 calories, 4 g protein, 24
g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 8 g fat (2 g saturated), 48 mg cholesterol, 27 mcg folate,
1 g iron, 241 mg sodium
Reprinted with permission from
the Wheat Foods Council.