- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, separated
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In small bowl, beat egg yolk with honey and buttermilk until blended. Add to
flour mixture, blending lightly just until mixture clings together.
- With floured hands, lightly shape dough into flattened ball. Roll out on floured
surface into a circle 1/2 inch thick. Using floured knife, cut into 8 to 12 wedges.
Place on greased or non-stick baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg white with water.
- In another bowl, blend sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush scones lightly with egg white,
then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake until golden brown (10 to 12 minutes).
- Serve warm.
Yield: 12 scones
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 8, 2001.