- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup rolled
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
- 2 large eggs
cup raspberry or cherry jam
- In a large bowl, mix flour, coconut, oats, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder
- With your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut in butter until mixture
forms coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk to blend. Stir all but about 1 tablespoon
egg mixture into flour mixture just until evenly moistened.
- Scrape dough onto a lightly floured board and pat into an 8-inch round. Slide
round onto a buttered 12 x 15-inch jellyroll pan and cut into 8 wedges, leaving
wedges in place.
- Brush top of round with reserved egg mixture and sprinkle with
remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Make a 1-inch diameter depression on top of the wide
end of each wedge and fill each with about 1/2 tablespoon jam.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Re-cut scones to
separate and serve warm, or transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Makes 8 scones.
Per serving: 279 cal., 35% (99 cal.) from fat; 6 g protein; 11 g fat (6.8
g sat.); 39 g carbo (1.7 g fiber); 311 mg sodium; 76 mg chol.