Cranberry Oat Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and
- Using a pastry blender, cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients until
the dough is crumbly.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- Add the buttermilk and stir lightly
with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together to form a ball. (The dough will
be sticky, but resist the temptation to overwork it.)
- On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough into a large circle about 2 inches
thick. Cut the dough into wedges.
- With a spatula, transfer the wedges to a baking
sheet lined with parchment and bake for 22 minutes, or until the edges are lightly
- Cool on a wire rack.
Best served warm and on the day they are made.
You can also brush the tops of the scones with cream and sprinkle with
turbinado sugar before baking to add a little crunch and some extra sweetness.