Cranberry Scones 2
These are my favorites, I usually sprinkle the tops with a bit of sugar before
I bake them.
- 2/3 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt, your choice
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold sweet butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Measure the buttermilk in a 2-cup glass measuring cup, beat in egg with a fork.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, mixing well
with a wire whisk.
- Add the butter and cut in with a pastry blender or with your
fingers, until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Add cranberries, sugar and orange peel and toss lightly to distribute evenly.
- Add the buttermilk mixture and stir with a fork until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead 5 to 6 times, just until
- Form dough into a ball and cut into 8 wedges. Form each wedge into a ball and
place on an ungreased cookie sheet, brush tops with the softened butter and sprinkle
with some sugar on top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack.
- Let cool for 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with butter, or your favorite preserves.
Yield: 8 scones
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 24, 2001.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Scone Recipes