- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup currants
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 egg white
- Prepared cinnamon-sugar
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in currants.
- In small bowl, whisk together honey, yogurt, egg, egg yolk and vanilla;
add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; shape into 8-inch circle (approximately
1 inch thick). Cut into 8 wedges. Place on greased baking sheet, at least 1
- Brush with egg white; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 8 scones
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories: 301 Calories from Fat: 30%
Carbohydrates: 48 g Cholesterol: 77 mg Dietary Fiber: 2 g Fat Total: 10 g Protein:
6 g Sodium: 301 mg
Recipe and photo credit: National Honey Board - nhb.org
>> Scone Recipes