Fresh Strawberry Scones
A warm and buttery crust surrounds delicately baked strawberries in these scones that are lightly sweetened with fruit juice.
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, refrigerated
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup fruit juice concentrate, preferably orange or apple juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups sliced California strawberries
- 4 tablespoons strawberry jam
* Special equipment recommended, preferably a rubber spatula or a plastic dough
- Stir the flour and baking powder together.
- Cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Mix the fruit juice concentrate and milk together, stir in the lemon zest.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour in the liquid and begin
to mix together using the plastic dough divider or rubber spatula. The dough
should come together forming a ball, yet remain fairly sticky, hence the need
for the dough divider. This will make your task much simpler. Knead the dough
a few times in the bowl until it forms a workable ball, yet retaining most of
its stickiness-you may need to work in an extra tablespoon or two of flour.
- Pat the dough down to a circle about 3/4 inch thick, wrap in plastic and refrigerate
for at least one hour.
- Prepare a baking sheet by sprinkling it with a generous amount of flour.
- Cut the dough with a serrated knife down the middle, as if you were splitting
an English muffin. Place the bottom half of the scone dough on the baking sheet,
lay the sliced strawberries evenly and place dollops of the jam to cover the
bottom half. Lay the top of the scone dough over this and slightly crimp the
- You may want to carefully lift the dough at this point to check that enough
flour has been sprinkled beneath it to prevent if from sticking while it bakes.
If not, add a little extra.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the dough, using the dough divider or a blunt knife, into 8 equal pie-shaped
wedges. Brush the top with a little milk or egg whites for a shinier appearance.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until browned.
- Serve when cooled just enough to handle, or store covered and re-heat in
the toaster oven to crisp.
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
California Strawberry Commission
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Scone Recipes