Peach Nutmeg Scones
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup diced peaches
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, salt, sugar, nutmeg and baking powder together.
- Work the butter into the dry ingredients, using your fingertips or a fork or pastry
- Mix the eggs, yogurt and almond extract. Stir this into the dry ingredients.
- Add the peaches and stir just until mixed. This is a very sticky dough.
- Liberally flour the counter and your hands. Put the dough on the counter and
pat it into a 1-inch-thick rectangle. Cut into 10 triangular scones.
- Place scones on a well-greased cookie sheet. Brush with the melted butter and
sprinkle with the sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until nicely browned and a cake
tester inserted into a scone comes out dry.
Yield: 10 scones