Scones with Dried Cherries, Walnuts and Lemon
These are real good! Easy to make, too!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup dried cherries (original called for cranberries; any dried fruit would work)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (or any other nut
- 1/2 cup chilled half-and-half (I needed 4 tablespoons more)
- Set oven rack in top 1/3 of oven; heat to 375 degrees F.
- Put first 5 ingredients in processor and pulse a few times to mix and "sift."
- Add butter; pulse 10 times, then add nuts and fruit; pulse a few times to
- Turn out into large bowl, add half-and-half and mix with fork by flipping
it until you can make it form a ball.
- Cut the ball in half; flatten each half ball into a disk about 1 inch high
and 6 inches in diameter.
- Cut each disk into six wedges; place wedges a few inches apart on baking
sheet covered with parchment.
- Brush each wedge with lemon juice and sprinkle sugar over it.
- Bake until golden, and tester comes out clean (about 20 minutes).
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Next time try it with dried blueberries and pecans.
Posted at Recipe Goldmine by Bill C.