Sour Cream Lemon Scones
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 lemon, orange or lime
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg white, optional
Lemon Honey Butter (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scones: Finely grate or zest lemon leaving as much white pith on the orange peel as possible
(should measure about 1 tablespoon zest).
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- Add 6 tablespoons butter and coarsely cut into flour until lumps are the size of small peas.
- Add sour cream and stir just until mixed (do not over-mix).
- Flour hands, place dough on lightly
floured surface and knead 4-5 times. Gently pat dough into a circle 1/2-inch thick.
Cut into 8 wedges and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper (may place
on ungreased baking sheet, but bottom of scones will bake dark).
- Brush tops with optional beaten egg white to improve browning of tops.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until light, airy and lightly browned.
- Serve warm with Lemon Honey Butter, if desired.
- Lemon Honey Butter: Whip all ingredients together until butter is creamy and
light. Refrigerate leftover Honey Butter.
Yield: 8 scones
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Scone Recipes