Seeded Bread Sticks
- 1 (16 ounce) loaf frozen white or whole wheat bread dough thawed according to package directions until pliable
- Kosher salt
- Caraway seeds
- Poppy seeds
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Lightly flour a working surface. Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll
and stretch each piece, first rolling between the palms of your hands and then
on the working surface to measure about 11 or 12 inches. Set aside on a lightly
- Sprinkle a light coating of salt and caraway and poppy seeds on separate
pieces of wax paper.
- Brush the sticks on all sides with the egg mixture, then
roll some of the sticks into each kind of coating. As they are coated, place
the sticks about 1 inch apart on two baking sheets that have been lightly greased
or coated with nonstick vegetable spray. The wax paper will have to be re-salted
and re-seeded several times.
- Cover the coated sticks with a towel and let rise
in a warm place out of drafts until slightly puffy, about 15 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake the bread sticks in the center of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or
until lightly browned.
- Remove from the baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
- Store tightly wrapped.
Yield: 12 bread sticks
The bread sticks will keep well for a couple days. Reheat at 350 degrees F, loosely
wrapped in aluminum foil, for about 10 minutes.