- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lard or shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups very warm water (120 to 130 degrees F)
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Mix whole wheat flour, sugar, shortening, salt and yeast in a large bowl; stir
in warm water. Beat on low speed of electric mixer for 1 minute, scraping the bowl
frequently. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in
enough all-purpose flour, 1 cup at a time, to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough
onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl. Turn the greased side up. Cover and let rise in a warm
place until double, 40 to 60 minutes. The dough is ready when an indentation remains
when dough is touched.
- Punch dough down, divide into halves, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Shape into 2 round, slightly flat, loaves. Place loaves on opposite corners of
a large greased cookie sheet. Cover with a dry cloth and set to rise another 45
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make 1/2-inch deep slashes across the top of each loaf in a lattice, bear paw
or squash blossom design. Sprinkle each loaf with 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour.
- Bake loaves for 35 to 40 minutes, until they are light brown and sound hollow
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Yeast Bread Recipes