- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lard or shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups very warm water (120 to 130 degrees F)
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Mix whole wheat flour, sugar, shortening, salt and yeast in a large bowl; stir
in warm water. Beat on low speed of electric mixer for 1 minute, scraping the bowl
frequently. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in
enough all-purpose flour, 1 cup at a time, to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough
onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl. Turn the greased side up. Cover and let rise in a warm
place until double, 40 to 60 minutes. The dough is ready when an indentation remains
when dough is touched.
- Punch dough down, divide into halves, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Shape into 2 round, slightly flat, loaves. Place loaves on opposite corners of
a large greased cookie sheet. Cover with a dry cloth and set to rise another 45
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make 1/2-inch deep slashes across the top of each loaf in a lattice, bear paw
or squash blossom design. Sprinkle each loaf with 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour.
- Bake loaves for 35 to 40 minutes, until they are light brown and sound hollow
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.