Almond Raspberry Bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel (just the outer yellow part)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 3 cups bread flour (we recommend King Arthur brand)
- 2/3 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 (7 ounce) box Odense Almond Paste
- 1 egg white, room temperature
- Food processor fitted with the plastic dough blade
- Pastry brush for applying egg white (any small, clean brush works fine)
- Put the butter and milk in a small dish and melt in the microwave.
- Sprinkle the yeast and one teaspoon of sugar into the warm water (between 100
degrees F and 110 degrees F) and whisk until dissolved. Let stand for 10 minutes
or until the mixture is bubbly and has close to doubled in volume (water that is
too warm will kill the yeast, and it won t double/bubble).
- In the food processor fitted with the plastic dough blade, add butter/milk mixture,
1/2 cup sugar, eggs, salt, lemon peel and cardamom. Pulse a few times to mix well.
- Add the flour and the yeast mixture a bit at a time, pulsing. The dough is mixed
when it pulls away from the side of the bowl and forms a ball. If the dough is too
sticky and refuses to form a ball, add a tablespoon of flour at a time until it
- Turn the dough onto a floured work surface. Knead about 4 minutes or until dough
feels soft and elastic.
- Oil a bowl big enough to allow the dough to double in size. Form the dough into
a ball and place in the bowl, turning the dough once so that the top also is coated
- Cover the bowl with wax paper and a towel and let rise in a warm spot for one
hour or until doubled in size.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or lightly grease it.
- Punch down the dough. Flour your work surface and roll the dough into about a
10 x 14-inch rectangle. Transfer to the cookie sheet.
- With the back of a knife, mark the dough into three long lanes of equal size.
- To make the strips that will be braided, cut the two outer lanes into angled
strips a little more than an inch wide. We find that scissors are easier than a
knife for cutting the strips.
- Spread the raspberry preserves down the center lane. Slice the almond paste into
thin coins and lay over the preserves.
- Braid the strips, giving a gentle pull to keep the braid neat.
- Let your Almond Raspberry Braid rest for another half hour to rise.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F, with rack in middle.
- Beat 1 room-temperature egg white with 1 teaspoon water. Brush onto the braid.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and braid sounds hollow when tapped.
>> YEAST BREAD RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.