As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup All-Bran cereal
- 2 to 2 3/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 cups rye flour
- Sprinkle yeast and sugar over 1/4 cup warm water. Stir to dissolve. Let stand
until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Melt chocolate and margarine with 1 1/4 cups water in a large bowl set over gently
simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove from over water. Blend in molasses, vinegar
and salt. Mix in cereal. Let cool.
- Grease a large bowl. Blend yeast into cereal mixture. Gradually stir in 2 cups
unbleached flour and rye flour. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and
knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, kneading in up to 3/4 cup more
unbleached flour if needed to form a workable dough. Add dough to prepared bowl,
turning to coat entire surface. Cover and let rise in warm area until doubled in
volume, about 2 hours.
- Grease two loaf pans. Punch dough down. Turn out onto lightly floured surface
and let rest 3 minutes. Knead 3 minutes. Divide dough in half. Roll each into an
8 x 7-inch rectangle. Starting with long side, roll dough up into a cylinder. Tuck
ends under and pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down in prepared pans. Cover
and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake until loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom, about 45 minutes.
- Remove bread from pans. Let cool completely on a rack before serving.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Yeast Bread Recipes