Cheese Pepper Bread
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 1/3 cups flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Grease 2 (1 pound) coffee cans.
- In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in hot water. Add 1 1/3 cups of the flour.
Add salt, sugar, baking soda, sour cream and egg. Blend 1/2 minute on low speed,
scraping bowl constantly. Beat 2 minutes on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
Stir in remaining flour, cheese and pepper.
- Divide batter between cans. Let rise in warm place for 50 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes (or until golden brown).
- Immediately remove from cans.
- Cool slightly before slicing.
Variation: Add 1 tablespoon dehydrated minced onion to batter.