A flavorful artisan bread that is easy enough to make at home.
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees F)
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® Active Dry Yeast
- 1 3/4 cups room temperature water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Mazola® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Place flour, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl; let stand for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour yeast mixture, room temperature water and oil into dry ingredients.
Mix for 5 to 7 minutes on high speed of electric mixer, until dough pulls away from
bowl. Mix for 1 minute longer.
- Place dough in greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise
for 45 minutes in a warm draft-free area.
- Oil hands to prevent sticking. Scoop underneath half of the dough with your
hand, lift one side of dough up and fold over to other side of bowl*. Replace
plastic wrap over dough and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Oil hands and divide dough with a knife by cutting down the middle of the
dough. Gently lift half of the dough from bowl with one hand and use other hand
to pinch off and separate the dough (dough will be very wet and sticky). Handle
dough carefully so as not to lose air bubbles. Place dough in oval shape (approximately
9 x 5 inches) on parchment lined baking sheet. Once placed on sheet, do not
move. Repeat for other half of dough.
- Press fingers into dough (about 1/4-inch deep) to make indents, approximately
12 indents per loaf**. Loosely cover each loaf with oiled plastic wrap to prevent
sticking. Let rise for 45 minutes.
- Again, press indents into dough and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Let dough
rise for an additional 45 minutes.
- Take plastic wrap off and lightly poke indents in dough.
- Place in preheated 425 degrees F oven for 15 to 25 minutes or until crust
is golden brown.
Yield 2 loaves | Prep Time 20 min
Rise Time 3 hr | Bake Time 15 to 25 min
Optional: To create a thick, chewy crust, periodically spray bread with a little
water while baking. OR remove baked bread from sheet and place directly onto hot
oven rack. Turn oven off. Crack oven door to let hot air slowly escape. Allow bread
to cool to room temperature in oven before removing.
* Folding the dough over halfway will distribute the yeast and allow it to feed
more easily and allows for the release of built up carbon dioxide.
** Poking indents give the bread a rustic look and also contributes to the release
of carbon dioxide build-up and yeast distribution, creating large open bubbles in
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Yeast Bread Recipes