Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread with Icing
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Brown Butter Glaze
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sifted
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve yeast in water. Add shortening, sugar, egg, cocoa, salt and 1 cup of
the flour. Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed of mixer, scraping bowl frequently.
- Stir in remaining flour and oats and blend until smooth. Scrape batter from sides
of bowl and cover bowl. Let rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes. Turn out on floured board (dough
will be soft) and divide into 8 equal parts. Shape each into a ball, roll in butter
and then in cinnamon and sugar which have been blended together. Place balls of
dough next to each other in a greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover. Let rise until
double in bulk (about 40 minutes).
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes.
- Remove from pan immediately. Cool.
- Prepare glaze by browning butter in a saucepan over medium heat until a delicate
- Blend in remaining ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cooled loaf.
Posted by Rudy2 at Recipe Goldmine May 31, 2001.