Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread with Icing
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110 )
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Brown Butter Glaze
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bread: Dissolve yeast in water. Add shortening, sugar, egg, cocoa, salt and 1 cup of
the flour. Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed of mixer, scraping bowl frequently.
- Stir in remaining flour and oats and blend until smooth. Scrape batter from sides
of bowl and cover bowl. Let rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes. Turn out on floured board (dough
will be soft) and divide into 8 equal parts. Shape each into a ball, roll in butter
and then in cinnamon and sugar which have been blended together. Place balls of
dough next to each other in a greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover. Let rise until
double in bulk (about 40 minutes).
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes.
- Remove from pan immediately. Cool.
- Brown Butter Glaze: Brown butter in a saucepan over medium heat until a delicate
- Blend in remaining ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cooled loaf.
Posted by Rudy2 at Recipe Goldmine May 31, 2001.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.