Country Oatmeal Bread
This crusty bread owes its grainy texture and flavor to oatmeal that is cooked
before it is mixed into the dough.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees F)
- Add oats and salt to boiling water in saucepan. Stir in sugar and butter. Remove
from heat. Set aside until mixture cools to between 105 degrees F and 115 degrees
- In large mixing bowl, soften yeast in the 1/4 cup warm water. Add cooled oat
- Gradually stir in flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out onto lightly floured
board. Knead until dough is smooth and satiny, adding just enough flour to keep
dough from being sticky. Place dough into clean, lightly oiled bowl, turning once-Cover
and let rise about 1 hour in a warm place (85 degrees F) until doubled. Punch down.
- Shape dough into a large round ball. Place on lightly greased baking sheet, smooth
side up. Sprinkle with uncooked oatmeal. Let rise again about 1 hour or until doubled.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
You may shape the dough into 2 loaves if desired. Place them into greased 8 1/2
x 4 1/2-inch loaf pans. Baking time will be about the same.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.