Crusty Home-Style Bread Bowls
These are for serving chili or thick soups.
- 1 cup water
- 2 3/4 cups Gold Medal Better for Bread Flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Fleischmann's Bread Machine Yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Measure carefully, placing all ingredients EXCEPT egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of
water into the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select
- Grease the OUTSIDES of six 10-ounce Pyrex custard cups. Place the cups upside
down on an ungreased cookie sheet. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Pat or
roll each piece into a 7-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Shape the dough
circles over the outsides of the prepared custard cups. Do not allow the dough to
curl under the edges of the custard cups.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15-20 minutes or until slightly puffy.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Mix the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of water; brush
gently over the bread bowls.
- Bake for 18 - 22 minutes, or until the bread bowls are golden brown.
- Carefully lift the bread bowls off the custard cups. Be VERY careful - both the
bread and the custard cups will be very hot. Cool the bread bowls upright on a wire
rack. Fill with beef stew, chicken a la king, chili or other thick soup or stew.
Serving size: 6
Posted by Cookin'Mom at recipegoldmine.com