- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 degrees F)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 egg white
- Sprinkle yeast in warm water. Stir to dissolve.
- In a large bowl, mix sunflower oil, egg, cottage cheese, honey and salt.
- Add dissolved yeast and 2 cups bread flour, beating until flour is moistened.
- Gradually stir in whole wheat flour, wheat germ, rye flour and oats, plus enough
bread flour to make a soft dough.
- On a floured surface, knead dough about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and
- Place dough in greased bowl, cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap. Let rise
in warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Shape into one round loaf. Place in a greased glass pie pan
sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise until doubled
in size, about 1 hour.
- Brush with egg white and sprinkle with wheat germ.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. If loaf is becoming too dark, cover loosely
with foil the last 10-15 minutes of baking.
- Remove from pie pan and cool on a wire rack.
Yield: 1 (2-pound) loaf