English Muffin Toasting Bread
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- Cornmeal, to sprinkle in pan
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and instant yeast in
a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the milk, water, and oil in a separate, microwave-safe bowl, and
heat to between 120 degrees F and 130 degrees F. Be sure to stir the liquid
well before measuring its temperature; you want an accurate reading. If you
don't have a thermometer, the liquid will feel quite hot (hotter than lukewarm),
but not so hot that it would be uncomfortable as bath water.
- Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Beat at high speed for 1 minute. The dough will be very soft.
- Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan, and sprinkle the bottom and
sides with cornmeal.
- Scoop the soft dough into the pan, leveling it in the pan as much as possible.
- Cover the pan, and let the dough rise till it's just barely crowned over
the rim of the pan. When you look at the rim of the pan from eye level, you
should see the dough, but it shouldn't be more than, say, 1/4" over the rim.
This will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour, if you heated the liquid to the correct
temperature and your kitchen isn't very cold.
- While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the cover, and bake the bread for 22 to 27 minutes, till it's golden
brown and its interior temperature is 190 degrees F.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan
onto a rack to cool.
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing.
Hands-on: 8 to 12 min | Baking: 22 to 27 min | Yield: 1 loaf
nutrition information: Serving Size: 1 slice Servings Per Batch: 14 Amount
Per Serving: Calories: 130 Calories from Fat: 20 Total Fat: 2.5g Saturated Fat:
0g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 280 mg Total Carbohydrate: 22g Dietary
Fiber: 1g Sugars: 2g Protein: 5g
* The nutrition information provided for this recipe is determined by the ESHA
Genesis R&D software program. Substituting any ingredients may change the posted
Recipe and photo used with permission from: kingarthurflour.com
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.