Flower Pot Herb Loaves
- 1 pound all-purpose flour
- 1 ounce fresh yeast
- 2/3 cup lukewarm milk
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 2 new (4-inch) clay flower pots*
* Purchase only clay pots made in the United States. If made outside the
United States, lead is mixed in with the clay.
- Grease the flower pots.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and form a well in the center.
- Combine yeast, milk and sugar in a bowl and leave for a few minutes, then pour
into well. Sprinkle a little flour over, cover and leave in a warm place for 15
to 20 minutes.
- Melt butter and mix with eggs, salt, nutmeg, dill and rosemary. Add onion.
- Mix everything with the flour and yeast liquid and knead well, until smooth and
- Cover and leave to stand until doubled in size.
- Knead again lightly and put half the dough in each flower pot. Let rise for 20
minutes or so.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush surface of dough with water and sprinkle lightly with aniseed or fennel,
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
>> YEAST BREAD RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.