Flower Pot Herb Loaves
- 1 pound all-purpose flour
- 1 ounce fresh yeast
- 2/3 cup lukewarm milk
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 2 new (4-inch) clay flower pots*
* Purchase only clay pots made in the United States. If made outside the
United States, lead is mixed in with the clay.
- Grease the flower pots.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and form a well in the center.
- Combine yeast, milk and sugar in a bowl and leave for a few minutes, then pour
into well. Sprinkle a little flour over, cover and leave in a warm place for 15
to 20 minutes.
- Melt butter and mix with eggs, salt, nutmeg, dill and rosemary. Add onion.
- Mix everything with the flour and yeast liquid and knead well, until smooth and
- Cover and leave to stand until doubled in size.
- Knead again lightly and put half the dough in each flower pot. Let rise for 20
minutes or so.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush surface of dough with water and sprinkle lightly with aniseed or fennel,
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.