Foolproof French Bread
- 1 package dry yeast
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- In large bowl, mix flour, salt and sugar together.
- In small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Pour yeast mixture over other ingredients.
Stir and mix.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise 4 hours.
- Punch down, but do not knead. Place in greased soufflé dish. Cover and let rise
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 1 hour. Bread may need to be covered during the last
15 minutes if it browns too quickly.
- If you do not want a hard crust, brush loaf with butter after removing from oven.