French Onion Bread
- 1 package active dry yeast or 1 cake compressed yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons shortening or vegetable oil
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups sifted enriched flour
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Soften dry yeast in the 1/4 cup warm water or compressed yeast in lukewarm water.
- Combine soup mix and the 2 cups water; simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt cheese and shortening. Stir. Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in 2 cups of the flour and beat well. Stir in yeast. Add enough of the remaining
flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Turn out on lightly floured surface. Cover
and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead until smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes).
- Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let
double in warm place (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch down; divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape into 2 long loaves, tapering ends. Place on greased baking sheet sprinkled
with cornmeal. Slash tops diagonally, 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep. Cover and let almost
double (about 1 hour).
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Brush with mixture of one egg white and one tablespoon water.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes longer or until done.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Yeast Bread Recipes