German Dark Rye Bread
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour
- In large mixer bowl, combine all-purpose flour, yeast, cocoa and caraway seed
until well blended.
- In a saucepan, combine water, molasses, butter, sugar and salt. Heat until just
warm, stirring occasionally. Add to dry mixture. Beat at low speed with electric
mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat for 3 minutes at high
- By hand, stir in enough rye flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto floured surface.
Knead until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Cover. Let sit 20 minutes.
- Punch down and divide dough in half. Shape each half into a round loaf. Place
in greased 8-inch pie plates. Brush surface of loaves with a little cooking oil.
Slash tops of loaves with sharp knife.
- Let rise until double, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Yield: 2 loaves