- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 cups buttermilk, scalded
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons molasses, honey or sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup tofu, crumbled, optional
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup pepitas (Mexican pumpkin seeds) chopped
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, whole or chopped
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1/4 cup natural bran
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup dark rye flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 to 4 cups white all-purpose flour
- Mix water and sugar together. Sprinkle yeast on top and let stand in a warm place
for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scald milk and stir in butter, molasses, soda and salt. Allow to cool
to lukewarm, then stir in tofu, egg and yeast mixture.
- Add seeds, wheat germ, bran, oats, rye flour and whole wheat flour. Add enough
white flour to form a dough which can be handled.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead 200 times. Form into a ball and place
into a greased mixing bowl. Grease top of ball. Cover with a dry towel and allow
to rise in a warm place until almost double in volume.
- Punch down. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Form dough into 2 large loaves and place in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans. Cover
and allow to rise until almost double in volume.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Turn out of pans and cool on a rack.
Yield: 2 large loaves
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 4/1/02 8:06:21 am.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.