- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Cream shortening and sugar; combine with yeast. Add egg.
- Mix salt and flour together. Add flour mixture and water alternately to yeast
mixture until the dough is not sticky. Cover with towel, put in warm place and let
rise until doubled (3 to 4 hours).
- Punch down and knead; then form dough into small loaves on floured board.
- Place in buttered loaf pans. Let rise again until doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until brown (20 to 30 minutes).
- Brush with melted butter.
Yield: 5 small or 3 medium loaves