Honey Wheat Bread
- 1/2 cup water, 110 to 115 degrees F
- 4 1/2 teaspoons yeast (2 packages)
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup wheat germ, optional
- 2 tablespoons wheat gluten, optional
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Warm milk to 110 to 115 degrees F; stir in butter, honey, brown sugar
and salt; cool to lukewarm.
- Add milk mixture to yeast; add wheat germ, wheat gluten, 2 cups whole wheat
flour and 3 cups bread flour. With an electric mixer, beat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining cup whole wheat flour and additional bread flour as needed
to make stiff dough.
- Place dough on a floured board and knead for 10 minutes or until dough is
smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch.
- Place dough in bowl coated with non-stick spray, turning once to coat the
top. Cover and let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in size, about 75 minutes.
- Punch down and let dough rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 2 portions.
Shape each portion into a loaf. (Using a rolling pin, roll each portion into a 9 x 14-inch rectangle. Starting at short end,
roll dough tightly; pinch dough to seal ends.)
- Place loaf in a 9 x 5-inch pan coated with non-stick spray. Cover and let
rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped with fingers.
To prevent a dark crust cover loaf the last 15 minutes.
- Remove from pans and brush with butter.
- Cool thoroughly before storing.
For rolls, bake about 15 minutes or until golden.
Nutrition: With 16 slices per loaf, each 2-ounce serving (1 slice or 1 roll)
provides approximately: 144 calories, 5 g protein, 27 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber,
2 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 44 mcg folate, 2 mg iron, 202 mg sodium
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Wheat Foods Council
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.