Honey Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 cups sifted flour, divided
- Sprinkle yeast over lukewarm water to soften.
- In a large bowl, combine hot water with honey, shortening and salt. Stir mixture
until honey and shortening are melted. Let cool to lukewarm.
- Add yeast; sift in 1 1/2 cups of the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the sifted
white flour, and beat mixture until well combined. Add 1 cup each of white flour
and whole wheat flour or enough to make a moderately stiff dough. Turn dough out
onto a well-floured board and knead for about 10 minutes or until very smooth and
- Transfer dough to a well-greased bowl, turn once, and let stand, covered, in
a warm place away from drafts for about 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, turn out onto a floured board, and form into a ball.
- Let dough stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Shape dough into a loaf and put into a well-greased loaf pan. Let dough stand,
covered, until doubled in bulk (about 45 minutes).
- Bake loaf at 375 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and sounds
hollow when tapped.
- Turn loaf out onto a wire rack and let it cool.
Yield: 1 loaf
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.