- 1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 to 6 cups flour
- 1/3 cup jalapenos, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried red peppers
- Mix water, yeast, salt and sugar. Add flour and jalapenos and mix into a ball.
Knead for 10 to 12 minutes, adding more flour if necessary, until dough is stiff. Add red peppers and knead for 3 minutes.
- Let dough rest 10 minutes, then cut into 12 pieces with a knife.
- Roll each piece of dough on a table to form long cigar-like shapes. Then, for each of the twelve pieces, connect the two ends by overlapping them about 3/4 of an inch and rolling the ends together to make a ring shape. Make sure each joint is secure or it will come apart while boiling.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours in a warm spot.
- In a large pot, bring 1 to 2 gallons of water to a rolling boil. Place bagels in boiling water and boil until they float (15 to 30 seconds).
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.